Film: Waiting for Superman
(Netflix DVD, on reserve at Ayala Library)
This is a disturbing film about the education system and the resistance to change. Students are caught in the middle. Before you start watching this film, recall
your high school education experience – both good and bad parts. Then think about taking on the role of a teacher – what kind of teacher would you be? What would it
be like to have been your teacher in your classroom?
At the end of your documentary review, connecting the film to course content, please address these questions.
1. According to the movie, what are the problems in education? List them below
2. According to the movie, how should the problems in our educational system be fixed? –
3. To what extent are parents and families responsible for student success?
4. To what extent do you agree with the movie’s argument that teachers are the main factor behind school success or failure?
5. What factors do you think should be taken into consideration when evaluating teacher performance and determining pay levels?
6. Do you agree with Ayers’ argument that student poverty and lack of school funding play a major role in school success or failure? Why or why not?
7. What do you think are the essential skills that a young person needs to prepare for a full and productive life after high school?
8. What can a school community do to create an environment that values and prioritizes reading? What is the role of parents, school staff and community members in
fostering a culture of reading at school and at home? How might you foster a reading culture at your school?
9. What did you learn from watching the film that you didn’t know before? What questions would you ask the filmmakers?
10. Several major stories are presented in the film: the history of public education in America, and the stories of individual children and families striving for the
best possible education. Which story or stories touched you the most?
11. Michelle Rhee is now living in California. Does California need Michelle Rhee?
(Here is an article: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/01/27/5143422/michelle-rhee-just-getting-started.html)
Why or why not?
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH US TODAY AND GET AN AMAZING DISCOUNT 🙂
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more