curatorial research portfolio
1) Provide a 200 word brief analysis on the position of “Asian Art at the Biennale”. You have the choice of focusing on one of the following Biennales (where possible you can compare across 2-3 editions, or focus on the most relevant one to your analysis — i.e.. on what is an important case study in your opinion)
Sydney Biennale (2006, 2008, 2010)
*note: each of these editions have a particular focus on the international (international art) in relation to Australia
Venice Biennale (2003, 2007, 2009)
* note: we discussed a bit, where each of these editions considers the positioning of global art/world art in particular ways
, themes, and parts (contexts) of the exhibition
Singapore Biennale (2006, 2008, 2013)
* note: the singapore biennale has considered regional aspects, but also aims to position singapore on the global art map
Shanghai Biennale (2000 and 2014)
* the 2000 Shanghai Biennale was the first international Biennale of Shanghai, curated by a renown curator, Hou Hanru, and note its focus on the exhibition, where you can consider possible differences in approach with the 2012 edition, which is co-
curated by a well-known Chinese artist, Qiu Zhijie, and includes city pavilions.
Focus on how Asian art becomes represented at the Biennale of choice. Some approaches/questions to consider are: Is Asian art linked to the theme of the exhibition? Or the curator? A special feature, maybe? Or is it linked the notion of transcultural curating (following Mosquera)?; Are regional aspects considered when including Asian art at this Biennale?; Or does it consider the rise of ‘global art’; ‘world art’; or ‘contemporary international art’? How important is the inclusion of Asian art/artists to the location of the Biennale? Are there national concerns, perhaps? Or linked specifically to the city?
— for this assignment you can use the discussion in class, the reading for this week, as well as the information listed on Blackboard, including the Universes in Universe portal on Biennales and Triennales
2) You have been asked to “Curate the Sydney Pavilion” for the Shanghai Biennale (use the 2014 edition as a model). Please list a choice of 4 artists with links to Asia to represent Sydney in the Shanghai Biennale and give your rationale on your choice by providing a brief introduction on the pavilion. Provide a theme for the exhibition as well. 200 words curatorial rationale
— for this assignment you can use the discussion in class, the reading for this week, as well as the information listed on Blackboard, including the links to the 2012 Shanghai Biennale, Shanghai Biennale Forum, and (as an example) the selection of artists for the Sydney Pavilion by Gallery 4A
Shanghai Biennale 2014, Sydney Pavilion
Unlike in pre historic period when energy was restrained by geographical locations, climate and certain resources, modern energy is obtained through exploitation of natural resources . Scarcity of these resources has been the major cause of inter-regional conflicts. The theme of the Shanghai Biennale 2012, “Reactivation,” is aimed at coming up with art works that can motivate the public to revisit and rewrite history, to convert and transform energy, and organize dialogues and communication channels. The idea behind “Reactivation” is to create spiritual pulses that will activate the inherent energy within communities. The theme is based on four pillars namely “Resources”, ”Revisit”, “Reform” and “Republic”(Herzog and Meuron 1 June – 14 October 2012).
Shanghai Biennale 2012 Biennale will include city pavilions and organizers have identified Sydney as one of these cities. The Biennale have to work with the relevant cultural institutions in Sydney city while being housed in Shanghai Contemporary Art Museum. This will require artists and curators with the interests of city dwelling communities at heart. Curators and artists such as Herzog, De Meuron, Catherine de Zegher and Gerald McMaster are in a better position to form an effective form that will facilitate the realization of the theme and bringing up a unique architectural collaboration to Asia and Europe as well(Catherine and Gerald 2012). With their long experience in art world, and rich in knowledge in the cultural diversity among many cities, the team is capable of organizing a fruitful Biennale .
Catherine, Zegher de , and McMaster Gerald. 18th Biennale of Sydney: all our relations. June 27, 2012. http://bos18.com/exhibition-overview (accessed August 27, 2012).
Herzog , and de Meuron. “Serpentine Gallery Pavilion 2012.” Kensington Gardens (Kensington Gardens), 1 June – 14 October 2012: 1-3.
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH US TODAY AND GET AN AMAZING DISCOUNT 🙂
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more