CRITIQUE OF A PROFESSIONAL SPEAKER
Purpose: Since you are becoming an Advanced Public Speaker, this assignment will assess your ability to critique professional speeches in terms of delivery skills, structure, and content using terminology that we have learned in class this semester.
Directions: Choose either Set One or Set Two below and complete a 4-5 page, double-spaced, typed comparative critique of one set of the following speeches (This means you will need to listen to both speeches in the set):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw8UjtWNec4 “Creating a Culture of Health”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDfalLJPYI4 “The Importance of our Legal System in Business, Society, and [the Lives of] All People” (speech starts at 7m 45s)
Questions you to consider as you listen:
1. What were the speakers’ professions?
2. Did the speakers provide a clear thesis and or preview at the beginning of their
3. Did the speakers establish credibility to speak on the topic within the speech?
4. Did the speakers use notes? Was the use of notes distracting?
5. Was appropriate eye contact given by either or both speakers? How did that
affect the level of engagement you had in the speech?
6. Between the two speakers, whose delivery was most engaging and why (vocal
variety? Body Movement? Appearance? Use of pauses? Absence of vocal
fillers)? Why or why not?
7. In terms of structure/organization, what did the speakers do well? What could
he/she have done better? Why or why not?
8. Did the speeches have credible, well thought out content? Why/Why not?
9. Did the speaker’s arguments/data/evidence/reasoning make sense? Were they
persuasive? Why or why not?
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH US TODAY AND GET AN AMAZING DISCOUNT 🙂